Thursday, May 27, 2010

I am a Seventh Day Adventist

The first time I went to an SDA church, I was just interested in what one of my best friend's church was like. That day was November 7, 2009. Today, I am a growing Seventh Day Adventist! I didn't realize how much it was going to impact me, going to church with Mary Anne. I believe that God led me there that day, because, in his infinite wisdom, he knew what would take place.
That day, Darryl, who was at the pulpit this week, told us all heart-wrenching news. My neighbours, Rudy and Michelle, had gone to this church before they moved, actually Rudy had been pastor. We used to babysit their goats and I had talked to their daughter Laura some. Anyway, Darryl told us that they had been in a bad crash. He told us, tears running down his face, that Michelle was alright; Rudy and Johannes were critically injured, with broken bones, and were unconscious; and, he told us that Laura had died. Gasps raised all around me and I could barely contain my tears and sadness. Everyone around me was crying openly, or just looking at their feet. I couldn't even speak. Mary Anne and her friend Sunny talked to me, but I don't know what they were saying. Mary Anne suggested we all come together in the middle of the room and pray and talk, which we did. Everyone held each other, crying quietly and praying.

That was my first day at my new church. Thankfully later, someone called to tell us that there had been a mix up, and that everyone was okay, except Johannes had a broken leg or something.

I believe that I am so connected to my church and love being a Seventh Day Adventist, is because of what happened on my very first day there.

P.S.: Later I asked Mary Anne if they did that for every new person who came to church, and she assured me they did not. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment